Saturday, October 22, 2011

Slept On Volume 2



I've been on a music crusade. I hopped on my golden ark and sailed through the seas of mixtapes on datpiff aha.

Aight fuck the poetry let's get to the music. This is basically a wide assortment of stuff from pretty well known artists. I'm splitting it up into two parts cuz there's soo many songs. Enjoy the songs I missed the first time!

Tracklist:


1. Los: Shooter - This one is the intro from his excellent mixtape "Shooter." He starts off kinda slow, but he speeds it up. Honestly, Los is easily one of the best rappers in the game. And he reallyyy needs to keep that fast flow on his tracks.
2. Willie the Kid: Booth Shot Lincoln - "The Fly 2" was one of my favorite projects of this year. "Lukewarm, soup them" is a perfect example as to how Willie's got one of the strangest rapping styles and flows in the game. He really shows it off here. I love it though!
3. Drake: Closer (feat. Andreena Mill) - "Comeback Season" was an awesome mixtape. Aubrey is having some trouble lately, but this is when he went in. It wasn't all about crooning females back them. I wish Drake could show the type of hunger he showed here. You can tell he wants to be big, but he's also trying to speak to the ladies on this track. Bring this style back Drizzy.
4. Outkast: Skew It On the Bar-B - Old school Oukast is fuckin amazing. "Aquemini" was really overlooked (probably because it was put out right near "ATLiens"). Andre's first verse is amazingg. It's songs like this that put 3K in my top 10 emcees. I love the beat too man. Oh and Raekwon's on it! So it's a real dream collab.
5. Wale: Tito Santana (feat. Joe Budden) - 9th Wonder + Wale = Amazing Music. "Back To The Feature" was seriously a great piece of music. Joe Budden goes off here. It made me realize that he's been one of the best artists in the game for quite a while now. This is the Wale that people love according to the blogs. I personally like both the unsigned Wale and the MMG Wale. He's just a great overall artist.
6. Los: Cuttin' Up (feat. Courtney Ownes) - Nuther one from that "Shooter" tape. It's got a real Jahlil Beats sounding instrumental. Los goes the fuck off here as usual. Not only does Los have a great flow here, but his lyrics are nicee *fabolous voice*: "I ain't surrounded by squares unless it's burbury pattern, how you think you swaggin on a n*gga with some bummy hoes, I'm blowing through the paper like a runny nose."
7. Willie The Kid: The Crazies..- "The Fly 2" has another gem I missed. This one's got a very cool strings driven beat. It sounds like the soundtrack to a cowboy movie or something. Willie flexes that unusual flow again!
8. Eminem: If I Had - This ones is from my personal favorite Eminem album of all time, "Slim Shady LP." I know many people consider "The Marhsall Mathers LP" as his best, but this album has got his most descriptive, truest, creative, and absolutely ridiculous albums. This one is where he talks about all the things he's tired off. He mentions struggling in the rap game, having fake friends, and being poor. It's the tough and hungry Eminem that we love. "If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss." Man this is the Em I miss.
9. Wale: Life's a Bitch (feat. Talib Kweli & Joell Ortiz) - Nuther one from "Back to the Feature." Three veryy talented poetic emcees over one 9th Wonder beat. Yep, this one's awesome. I'm not usually a Talib fan, but he really does well. And of course, Wale (my favorite rapper of right now) is fuckin' ill here. "I'm so bomb, you can throw me in a mosque, and I'm so beautiful you can throw me in a mosque-erade."
10. Los: Love It - I really didn't give this "Shooter" mixtape a good listen. This one's probably my favorite of the bunch. The synth driven beat is in minor key (my favorite) and it's ill. It's produced by Baron Boys (probably some Baltimore production crew). Anyways, Los gives a real darker style of rap but it works. I don't always love his choruses, but this one is really good. And his flow on the verses is great.
11. Outkast: Slump - Some more old school Outkast from "Aquemini." This one's a real southern beat with some a baby crying sample littered here and there aha. Unfortunately, Andre doesn't have a verse on this one. Still though, Big Boi (who is also a great artist) holds his own. Outkast = greatest group ever.
12. Wale: Wonder Why (feat. Big Sean, Ken Starr & Mike Posner) - Yet another song from "Back to the Feature." I've really been put onto 9th's music after "The Wonder Years" just dropped. So a mixtape with 9th and Wale was just perfect! Wale is real poetic here, "Felatio fetish, broads know me where I live, brought broads to Brazil fuck a currency ya dig?" This one also features a pre-fame Big Sean. Honestly.. the dude's improved his flow a lot. I didn't really like it here. That Ken Starr guy was the big surprise here, and he flowed his ass off. I think it's funny that a rapper is named after a politician ahah
13. Drake: Sooner Than Later - This one was the only song I didn't have on "So Far Gone" (on of the better mixtapes of all time). Initially this song sounded like the sing-song Drizzy that the world has grown to hate. When Drake lead off with "I forgot to call you on your birthday", I was about to turn it off. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? You're gonna start something off with a line that corny? But it improves from there. The chorus is actually gorgeous, and if you get through the singing you can here some really nice bars at the end (and sounds a lot like Fabolous). "Night falling, lights glowing, and I'm just tryin to pay the price owing."
14. Eminem: Hailie's Song - I actually really like songs that he dedicates to his kids. They're really genuine. He sings for most of it which is ok, but like the last song he drops some nice bars. "Now you probly get this picture from my public persona, that I'm a pistol-packing drug-addict who bags on his momma, but I wanna just take this time out to be perfectly honest, cuz there's a lot of shit I keep bottled that hurts deep inside o' my soul, and just know that I grow colder the older I grow, this boulder on my shoulder gets heavy and harder to hold, and this load is like the weight of the world, and I think my neck is breaking should I just give up, or try to live up to these expectations?"
15. Wale: The Sun (feat. Memphis Bleek) - Wale and one of the biggest disappointments of all time link up for yet another track on "Back to the Feature." It's got a very souful and old school beat thanks to 9th. Wale's best line(s) IMO were "If I got glocks poppin at Picaso that popper, I'd rather rap about politics emprada." Memphis is pretty ehh.
16. Drake: Asthma Team - Another one from "Comeback Season." The beat here KNOCKS! Drake just flexes on this freestyle: "the inside of my wallet is pasture green, and you are now hanging with the asthma team, sweetie catch your breath while I smash the scene."
17. Wale: Goodbye (feat. Jean Grae) - Wale + my favorite femcee of all time is a win. And guess what? It's on "Back to the Feature." This one's a real jazzy breakup song. Grae sings and raps on this one. I love the story Wale tells at the end about how he ended up working with Jean. You really need to download this tape!
18. Eminem: As the World Turns - This song might have one of the funniest stories of all time. I can't even begin to describe it. But it's fuckin hilarious! This one is a must have to your collection. 
19. Eminem: I'm Shady - This is the third song from "Slim Shady LP." Em talks about all the crazy things he's done. He mentions all the drugs he's done ahah. But at the end he says he only does shrooms and smokes weed (which seemed brutally truthful). I love the way he starts the second verse: "I like happy things, I'm really calm and peaceful (uh-huh huh), I like birds, bees, I like people, I like funny things that make me happy and gleeful (hehehe), like when my teacher sucked my wee-wee in preschool (Woo!)" Classic Em.
20. Drake: Underdog (feat. Trey Songz) - Trey and Drake go for a little rap freestyle over this one. Trey is ok on this one. I don't think rapping is really his line. Drake goes in as usual. Of course, it's from "Comeback Season." Man this tape really makes me miss the old Drake. "Take Care" is not looking to be so great..
21. Eminem: Still Don't Give a Fuck - Another one from that "Slim Shady LP." This one's full of stories of drugs and killings that we hate to love. I'm not gonna lie, Eminem is at his most exciting when he talks about killing people in taxis or driving a trunk for the first time.. drunk. He was America's fucked up pleasure.
22. Drake: Think Good Thoughts (feat. Little Brother) - Last one from that "Comeback Season" tape. Drake holds his own over this old school 9th Wonder beat. It's really great to hear Phonte on a track with a big artist like Drake.

Slept On Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment