Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Gilbere Forte: Some Dreams Never Sleep - EP


This dude's slowly proved his consistency and has moved into my favorite up and comers. He's constantly choosin' slick beats and flexes his rapping and singing skills. As of lately he's been catching quite a buzz by leading the 1st BET Cypher! Hopefully this buzz pushes him into next year's XXL 2012 top freshmen article. But anyways, he decides to drop a new EP after his "Smmertime, Sunshne & Nghtfall" (which was one of the best projects of this year). This one's got a lot of remixes from his classic debut album "87 Dreams" (you needa check this one out. Don't sleep on this project). It's also got a quite a few new ones!

Tracklist:

1. Black Soul (feat. Big K.R.I.T) - This is like a dream collaboration for me on this one. The beat is a "Recipt" (one of my favorite Wayne songs) sampled southern banger. KRIT starts things off hot on this one with a ridiculously ill flow. Seriously.. name another rapper who's better than this guy right now? He's got the illest rap voice in the game, a great flow, and great concept of what hip-hop fans want. But here's the thing. Here's the thing though.. KRIT doesn't steal the show at all. Gilbere steps right up to the plate and continues with a speedy flow. He tells his story as to how he's paved his way to the point he's at now. It really says something about Gilbere that he was able to hold his own on track with one of the best rappers in the game.
2. Most High (feat. Droop-E & Casey Veggies) - Forte links up with the Odd Future affiliate for a smokers anthem. This beat is what I imagine listening to a saxophone in cloud of weed smoke would sound like aha. The chorus switches to that singing with a distant instrumental sound in typical Forte form (which is always nice). Gilbere goes off on this one: "I ain't no missionary, but your girl loves dick-tionary." That Droop-E sounds like a bay area version of Tyga. Casey Veggies is aight. I dunno why he's so well liked. His flow is too slow and his lyrics aren't that great. But whatever, Forte shines on this one and that's all that matters.
3. Burn Me Down (Remix) [feat. Tyga & Raak]
4. Poppin Bottles (feat. Get Busy Committee)
5. Hot (In This Bitch) [feat. Jim Jones & Pusha T]
6. Eternal
7. Blackin Out (feat. Maluca)
8. I Be (On My My Chill)
9. Black Chukkas (Remix) [feat. Asher Roth & Bun B] - Crazyyy dubstep beat on this one. I like how it switches up from Roth's verse to Forte's. Gilbere makes some big moves and links up with a southern rap legend and one of the few white rappers I like! Asher Roth starts it off with some mad bars: "who's buggin? Looney tune jumped in those shoes too soon sucka, I think I'll just stick to my chukkas, mufucka." It's a shame most people know him for "I Love College" cuz he's really a talented emcee (don't believe me? Check out The Lounge). Gilbere does his thing: "I'm posted on the avenue, black sugar attitude, bad brains latitude"...and Bun B keeps it trill at the end. Bun's got a great rap voice.
10. Feel Alive (feat. Brian Underwood) - Gilbere links up with his frequent collaborator and singer, Brian Underwood. The beat samples "Bag Music" (I know the song is originally a Jeezy song, but I like Bun's version a lot better so imma put the link up for that one). Underwood shows his gorgeous voice as he sings his ass off on this southern beat. Forte speaks on how families should work, tells some stories about his youth, and offers some life wisdom. "My knowledge is stronger than the nerves of a neurologist, learned from the walks in life, I ain't gotta run."
11. Hello (feat. the Kickdrums)


Gilbere shows serious consistency on this project. It's hard to compare this one with his previous projects considering half of the songs are remixes from his first album. But Gilbere shows he's still got great beat selection, a great rap voice, he's an excellent singer, and he's an improving lyricists. Forte's finally getting noticed by the hip-hop community and by big rappers in the game (he's got more famous features on this project than he's ever had). Forte is the next to blow up!!!

Some Dreams Never Sleep - EP

No comments:

Post a Comment