Friday, September 2, 2011

Smoke DZA: Rolling Stone



Yes this review is a little late... sue me. Here's the review to the JETS affiliates second album:

1. Wonderful World Of The Kushedgod - Just a little quick verse with Smoke DZA flexing his lyrics and his imfamous "Righttt." It's crazy that he's from NY because he raps over such down-south beats. But it's a really solid intro as he spits about his hustle.
2. He Has Risen
3. Loudest Batch (feat. Den10) - Track three features his frequent affiliate (Den10, who really isn't that great). The beats pretty solid with the old school vocals. I like the way it switches up. Pretty much just Smoke showing his "murderous" lines.
4. On The Corner (feat. Bun B & Big K.R.I.T.) - First off, Big K.R.I.T. is a dope producer. The guitars are so fucking good. His Mississippi accent works so well on the hook of this beautiful instrumental. Smoke DZA sounds like a perfect fit as he speaks on his life as a youngster. When the hook hits after that first verse with those dope vocals in background.. I knew that this song was flawless. Add Bun B? You've got the down south anthem of the year. Sounds like vintage UGK and it's definitely my Favorite Song!!!
5. Ball Game (feat. Kendrick Lamar) - Smoke hits us with a smooth jammer. This is more of NY joint to me. Kendrick goes in as always. His flow is a little weak here, but his dizzying flow of double entendras makes up for it. Dopeness.
6. We Out - Smoke hooks up with Cardo (the Wiz Khalifa producer) for a cool jam. "We Out" is definitely one of my favorite expressions so I fucks with this one. DZA speaks about picking up chicks and smoking them out aha.
7. 4 Loko (feat. ASAP Rocky) - DZA hooks up with the fellow NY native for a hardcore anthem song. On a side note, ASAP Rocky is one of the hardest MC's in the game. "Purple Swag" is my jam ATM. Smoke speaks on his hardcore side. This one definitely works. DZA really has a style that works on a lot of different sounds.
8. Notorious (feat. Fiend & Big Sant)
9. Pow Wow (feat. Dom Kennedy) - DZA links up with Dom for a nice little westcoast jammer. I really like how he switches his sound up to fit with his featured artist's comfort zone. I usually love Dom's delivery, but he sounds a little too relaxed here. He's not that good of a lyricist, so he's gotta use that Rick Ross appeal and just spit with emotion. He was probably just high as fuck though ahaha.
10. Quiet
11. Overhigh (feat. Trademark Da Skydiver & ScHoolboy Q)
12. Personal Party (feat. Curren$y) - Smoke hooks up with his boss for a typical JET track. The beat is ill! This is the biggest stoner anthem on the album. Spitta kills it. He's improved a lot in the last year (lyrically). He needs to get back to Ski Beatz for that "Pilot Talk 3." But that's a completely different issue... Anyways, this track is a real smooth and relaxing track.
13. Live Life (feat. Marz Lovejoy)

Aight so I really hyped this album up because I had a good feeling about it. And I don't think I was wrong for doing so. DZA's really stepped his delivery up. At this point I consider him a real big name in hip-hop. Before he was just the guy who was always on tracks with Curren$y and Big K.R.I.T. Now, after a great second album and that "The Hustler's Catalog" tape, he's in my top favorites. What I love the most about him is that he mixes a New York flow with some down south, Mississippi beats. Some people were worried you HAVE to be a smoker to listen to this album. What do I have to say to that? Fuck no! It's a really relaxed album, so if you like hardcore shit then this might not be for you. But if you're looking for the next laidback emcee of the decade, the you've found a winner. As for "Rolling Stoned", you'll see it in my favorite albums at the end of the year. If Smoke continues this good quality music, he could be the next big thing from the JET camp. Keep it up DZA! Oh and he's got one of the best trademark sayings in hip hop. Rightttt!

No comments:

Post a Comment